As conflict, climate change, COVID-19, and inflation continue to escalate the world hunger crisis, Embrace Relief is doing its part to help feed the world.
Thus far in 2022, Embrace Relief’s International Hunger Relief campaigns, which took place during April for Ramadan and July for Qurbani, have provided meals and food packages for more than 130,000 people across 15 countries and four continents.
Thanks to the generosity of Embrace Relief’s donors, and the vital on-the-ground support of Embrace Relief’s local partner organizations, food distribution totaled 35,620 people during Ramadan, and 97,260 people during Qurbani.
According to the United Nations, more than 828 million people worldwide live with hunger every single day, and the number continues to grow in recent years thanks to the various economic, political and climate crises affecting the entire globe.
Because the crisis is so widespread, Embrace Relief’s International Hunger Relief campaigns are active in numerous regions of the world. Food packages have been delivered to people in need in Embrace Relief’s home country of the United States; numerous sub-Saharan African countries, most prominently Tanzania, Mali, Kenya, Burkina Faso, Nigeria, and Uganda; refugees in Greece; and people living in conflict-stricken Yemen.
Here are some of the highlights of Embrace Relief’s International Hunger Relief distribution in 2022:
- United States (food distributed to 33,760 people): During Qurbani, Embrace Relief distributed meat packages to 5,220 families and 31,320 people at a variety of locations in the United States, including New Jersey, Texas, Atlanta, Los Angeles. During Ramadan, food packages were delivered to 460 families, while hot meals were provided for 600 people.
- Tanzania (food distributed to 17,560 people): A total of 1,435 families, equaling 8,610 people, benefited from Embrace Relief’s Qurbani meat packages in Tanzania. The country was also the primary area of food distribution during Ramadan, with 530 families receiving food packages and 6,300 Tanzanian people receiving hot meals.
- Philippines (food distributed to 13,320 people): The Philippines received a donation of 60 cows’ worth of meat from Embrace Relief during the Qurbani campaign. This meat was distributed to more than 2,220 families in the country, providing many meals for families in need.
- Greece (food distributed to 12,200 people): Supporting refugee families in Greece is an important aspect of the International Hunger Relief campaign. During Ramadan, Embrace Relief delivered food packages to 1,500 families, meat packages to 550 families, and a $50 food voucher to an additional 550 families. In addition, during Qurbani, Embrace Relief provided meat packages to 700 families.
- Mali (food distributed to 10,710 people): Embrace Relief distributed meat packages to 1,645 families in Mali for Qurbani, and food packages serving 120 families during Ramadan.
- Yemen (food distributed to 9,200 people): The deteriorating humanitarian situation in Yemen, where conflict has been ongoing since 2014, requires a significant response. During Ramadan, Embrace Relief began providing daily bread distribution for 1,400 Yemeni people. This life-saving distribution will continue thanks to the support of our donors. In addition, Embrace Relief provided food packages to 600 families and Eid sweets to 300 children during Ramadan. For Qurbani, an additional 600 families received meat packages.
Other countries who received Embrace Relief food distributions included Kenya, Nigeria, Uganda, Burkina Faso, Afghanistan, Indonesia, Pakistan, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. In all of these countries, between 1,100 and 7,100 people received food packages, meat packages, or hot meals.
Because of donors like you, the International Hunger Relief 2022 campaigns have been quite successful, with tens of thousands of vulnerable people receiving much-needed support. Embrace Relief would like to extend a most sincere thank you to all who have donated this year.
In 2023, we’re looking to reach even more people and families through our International Hunger Relief campaigns. Your generosity is the foundation on which we can achieve this goal. Together with your help, we can ensure hundreds of thousands of people have the food they need to survive and thrive.