What is a cataract?A cataract is a progressive eye disease that causes blurry vision and eventually complete blindness if not treated.
- Cataract is preventable and treatable, yet it is the leading cause of blindness in Africa, due to:
- Extreme heat
- Excessive dust
- Intense labor
The Effects of Vision Impairment on Children and Adults
There are more than 2.2 million people who are visually impaired in Mali
- Social isolation
- Low school attendance
- Low workforce participation
- Increased social isolation
- Increased anxiety and depression
- More prone to falls and fractures
- Greater likelihood of early on-set dementia or Alzheimers
No one should live in darkness because of a curable disease. This is why Embrace Relief’s medical clinics provide free cataract surgeries to people suffering from treatable blindness in Mali.
A $100 donation includes
- Pre-operation health checkup
- Cataract surgery for one eye
- Patients receive free food and water on day of operation
- Post-operation checkup
- Health checkups for 15 other people
You will receive a Cataract Surgery Certificate with your name and the name and a picture of the person whose surgery you sponsored. Help Cure Cataracts in Africa!